Full Moon Party ~ Koh Pha Ngan,Suratthani, Thailand


Full Moon Party ~ 1st Sept 2012
When you think about Full Moon Party or FMP for short, you could just think off the non-stop booze, loud Trans dance music, big stage, luminous tattoos, shirts and tops. This party last for one whole day from dawn to dusks. The day after the party, there were still people partying until 10am in the morning. My kind of party and experience of FMP is just booze,luminous tattoos,half naked beautiful horny guys trying to get laid, filthy sea water with urine and pukes and last but not least, a short term memory lost and a bad hangover the next day.Here is my little journey to the partyland...!

The journey to the partyland
29th Aug 2012 - Penang Island, Malaysia
I started my FMP trip from Kuala Lumpur to Penang via bus from Pudu Sentral at 0930hrs; Suasana Edaran Bus Express. It is a 4hours bus ride from Kuala Lumpur to Georgetown Penang. There were several stops in between the journey before I reached to the Sungai Nibong Bus station around 1300hrs. I thought that this bus station would be nearer to the city centre but it is not. The Sungai Nibong Bus station is around 15km away from the city and the taxi costs around MYR15-20 per way. To get the best and cheaper taxi charges is to haggle, althought it is not advisable especially if it is a meter taxi! Once you get off the bus, there will always be some white shirt guys asking if you need a taxi and charge you sky rocket price.

Lesson: If you need a taxi, just stop the ones that are not parked on the side of the road. Try to stop taxi that passes by as it is way easier and they charge you for less a little bit.
The best way to go to Georgetown is via Ferry service from the ferry terminal at Butterworth (where it is next to the bus terminal and train station).

I did book my accommodation prior to my trip at the smallest guesthouse in Penang. It is call The Roommates Guesthouse Penang. They are located at 17-B, Lorong Chulia, Georgetown) or you can book in advance at www.roommatespenang.com. The guesthouse owner and the workers are so friendly and helpful during my one night stay in Penang. Plus, Lorong Chulia is just next to the famous backpacker place; Love Lane. There's a lot off interesting places surrounding this guesthouse such as Little India street, the famous Goddess of Mercy Temple, Mahamariamman Temple and also good local food such as nasi kandar.

30th Aug 2012 - On the train
From my guesthouse in Penang, I walked towards the jetty where I took the FREE ferry service to Butterworth. It took me 15minutes just to reach the Butterworth jetty. I sat near to the window where I could see Georgetown and the sky was really blue and the sun shine brighter. A good sign that I'm going to have so much fun soon! I was on time as my train from Butterworth to Suratthani is at 1420hrs.

The train took off as schedule. I am too excited that I sat near the window pane. We passed through some green paddy fields at some part of the journey and a cave temple near Arau.I was been told by the local girl in the train that thought that I am not local but more Pilipino look and maybe because I don't speak Bahasa Melayu with her instead I was communicating with her in English. It turned out that she is a student in a local University in Arau and future sport therapist. I am proud to see her trying to communicate English. Admire her willingness. The train did few stops, and the longest stop was at the Immigration center where we have to off board the train and climb on flights of stairs for visa on arrival for both, Malaysia and Thai Border Immigration. The journey then continues and it was late evening. All I can see is just the street lights and darkness until I saw the sign 'HATYAI'.
Yup, officially half way reaches my destination. The train stopped again. This time, some group of men who were performing prayers or Solat at the platform captures my eyes. There were also some local policemen walking and wandering around the group of men with rifle in their hands as if those men who attended prayer were a terrorist. I wanted to take some photos but then, one of the policemen saw me. Thank god that the train starts to move again. Time past and I was almost fall asleep until one of the American guys I met on the train woke me up in the middle of the night. The train stopped at 'SURATTAHANI'.I was sleepy, blurred and lost. I gathered myself and looking for the hotel that I was supposed to stay in for a night in Suratthani. I saw some local taxi driver was offering some ride to the others but I opt to walk to the hotel. As per mentioned in the direction that I wrote on the paper, I went straight to the 7-Eleven shop and bought some water and asked the direction to the hotel. It was actually opposite the 7-Eleven shop. Without wasting more time, I crossed the road and went to the sign. ‘QUEEN HOTEL'. Well, don't expect more from the hotel just the name says queen. A young guy on his motorbike was sitting in front of the hotel. It was a bit dark at the reception. I am a bit worried and scared for my safety for the first time. But then, the motorbike guy smiles at me and asking me if I had a booking at the hotel. And I said yes. Then, he walked in the reception and look for my booking reservation. I was then given the room key. My room was on level 3. Yup, exercise in a wee hour. All that I was thinking was to have a good sleep! He then showed me the room and leaves me the key. The room was ok, as I will be there just for a night before heading to the airport and meet Ms. L the next day. I was total exhausted and sleep the whole night.

31st Aug 2012 - The adventure begins
Woke up, get shower and get ready for airport and the most important thing, to get breakfast. I walked down the stairs and checked-out from the hotel. Its day time now and I could see that the small town near the Suratthani station is busy. There are few banks and small stalls selling from electrical goods till food. I had some of the local dish. It was yummy and cheap. Then I head to the taxi stand, a few walk away from the train station. The taxi service from Suratthani train station to the airport cost me THB250 for one way. After a few hours of waiting for Ms. L's flight arrived, I bought the combo ticket for bus and boat (from Don Sak to Thong Sala) for THB500.We took the last bus that is at 4pm.The bus took almost an hour to arrive at the pier as the distance is about 60km from Suratthani. Finally, we are at the pier and the big boat is waiting for us. I saw some cars and lorries  went in the lower compartment of the boat while the other passengers including us walk up the stairs at the side of the boat to level 2 and 3. There is a small convenience store on the second level. They sell instant noodles, biscuits, beers and juices for the trip at a reasonable price.

That evening was beautiful. The sunset view from the deck was incredibly awesome. MS L and I just sit at the edge of the fence and let our feet fiddle the air and imagine that we were in 'Titanic' movie,' You jump, I jump' moment. The sunset was for a brief moment but we still sitting at the same place. The sea breeze really refreshing, letting our hair down and enjoying the moment. The full moon appears. The moonlight lit up the dark sea water. It was so beautiful. At the other edge, we could see the lights from the houses in one of the islands that we've passed and some lighthouse as well. The journey maybe took around 2hours but it was the best 2 hours of sitting still while looking at the big ocean! We arrived in Thong Sala eventually. From Thong Sala jetty, we share the Songtaew with the others who wants to go towards the party place, Haadrin Beach for THB100 per person. Seriously, these sontaew drivers are really making money out of tourist in the middle of the night!
We finally arrived at the hostel that we've booked called NANDA Hostel. It’s the sister hostel for the popular Dancing Elephant. When we arrived there, the party has started. Saw a lot of people drinking and dancing to the loud music at the alley. Both of us are really tired and exhausted.  We were so enthusiastic to be in the hip crowd. They were dancing, drinking and mingle around at the alley and enjoying the good vibes. We left our luggage and backpack at the dorm. We met some Welsh guys with cute smile and good body! They asked if we want to go to the jungle party. We were so tired that we have to go bed early and hoping that next day will be more awesome!

*Ms. left me in Haadrin the next morning as she have some issues with the owner of the hostel that we were staying. Concerned and respect on her decision that she have made. She left for Philippines the same day and was happy she had her time there with her relatives.

1st Sept 2012 – The BIG Day!
Tonight will be the big night where the Full Moon Party will take place. Since Ms. L went off, I decided that I wanted to stay more days in the same place. The owner wife’s is a friendly lady together with her little son. We spend the day chatting at the common area. I wasn’t sure what I’ll do as I have no plan. I walk a little bit on the beach and saw some people were doing the last minute preparation for the big party. The day before I left Suratthani, I received mail message from Mr. Y to meet me up at Koh Phangan. The Wi-Fi reception at the guesthouse was not really good. I barely look at my emails and Facebook updates. But lucky for me I left him a message that I’ll be at Nanda’s. We actually meet up that evening for dinner at an Indian restaurant just a walking distance from the hostel that I stayed. I think I am a lucky girl with lots of friends. Just after Mr. Y arrived, I saw some messages from Mr. M who came with a friend. The three of us eventually went together to the party that night. The music is loud, there were a lot of people everywhere and overcrowded places. We saw some people with a lot of luminous tattoos on their body and faces with different types of designs and wordings. The music starts to get louder when the night is getting late. There were some places with a big slide coming down from the room and you can actually glide inside the slide, a few big stages near the seashore with a lot of blipping neon lights. There were also small stalls with a lot of wordings that says ‘Cheap alcohol’ in a bucket!

I always remind myself to stay safe during the Full Moon party. I left all my gadgets away in the safe and locked it. I only bring few Thai Baht’s to the party place. The trick is for girls to put their money is in their bras. And not forgetting to wear flip flops or the best is shoes all the time as I don’t want my feet to get hurt from the broken glasses afterwards. The three of us went to the small shops selling cheap drinks in the bucket. I knew that I want them to put more and in the end, I had almost 2 buckets for myself. This sounds a little bit not too crazy. I had so much fun during the party that I didn’t recall any of it the next morning. Thanks to Mr. Y, rescuing me and make sure of my safety. Merci beaucoup!**

End of journey
I left Koh Phangan on the 4th Sept 2012 with a lot of good memories and as well as the crazy moments I had. Thanks Ms. L, Mr. Y and Mr. M….I’ve met as well a lot of new friends on my way back to Kuala Lumpur. It is pleasure meeting up with you Mr. E!..

**Too much details that I can’t reveal.


 

1 comment:

  1. Koh Phangan is one of the most beatiful islands in Thailand and the Full Moon Party is just amazing

    ReplyDelete