CAMBODIA - Land of the ancient temples (Part 2) - Day 1

Trip to Siem Reap
Day 1 (3.1.2013)

I woke up as early as 7.00am, feeling excited and nervous at the same time. This is my first time I'll be travelling to Siem Reap alone!My bus to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh leaves at 9.00am at Psar Thmei.I took the Phnom Penhsurya bus service from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap and it only cost me USD9 per way.
You can book it online, by travel agent or guesthouses or you can just buy the bus ticket at the counter in Psar Thmei.Here's the link to the bus service Phnom PenhSorya Bus Services

I think I am lucky as the staff at the guesthouse really helped me a lot arranging my bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap.អរគុណ!

The tuktuk from Russian Market to the bus station cost me USD3 and it took about half an hour to reach the place.It was a busy morning. At least it is not as busy as Ho Chi Minh city during peak hours!We passed through some of the alley,passed infront of the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum and some houses before we reached at the destination, Psar Thmei.


When I reached at Psar Thmei, I saw a lot of tourists and travellers waiting for their busses.There's a lot of routes offered from this bus terminal as such to Sihanoukville, Battambang, Kampot and even to Ho Chi Minh! I was impressed.
The bus actually came on time. I boarded the bus in hope I'll be meeting some new friends on board!

The seat next to me was empty for a moment.Suddenly, came a petite Chinese  lady with a big glasses sat next to me.She was holding a Lonely Planet book but in Chinese version.I just smiled at her and put on my earplug and listen to the music as the bus starts to leave the city.

Siem Reap, here I come!!

I was almost half asleep when the bus suddenly shaken.I saw a lot of dust and the road was so bad that most of the time we where humping and swaying from right to left.

I saw some of the houses by the roadside. It was totally covered by the dust.There were also some restaurants by the roadside. I was wondering how the can eat food they displayed where there were dust everywhere!Hygiene wise, I won't eat it there.

The torturing,swaying and butt hurting(mind my language here!), finally ends.The road to Kampong Thom is way more better then the road before.
At one point, the bus stopped infront of a restaurant. The driver, without any words, just climbed off and head to the restaurant and ordered food.Myself and the other passengers just look at each other thinking that we should go out from the bus and eat?

Some off us just stay in the bus.I was starving and went off the bus and started ordering food.The only thing that I ordered is the vegetarian fried noodle and a bottle of coke.I was about to finish up my food until the petite Chinese lady just stood infront of me.
 
CL:Do we need to eat now?
Me:As you wish but I think the driver is almost finishing up his food.
CL:Can I seat here??
Me:Yes,as you wish.
By then, the waiter came up to her and gave her the menu.
CL:I don;t want to eat noodle.This noodle is no good.Owh, they only have
     vegetarian?Why don't they have other kind of noodle?
Me:(With my annoying looks)..Maybe that's the best noodle they have here.
CL:Ok.I guessed I have to eat this.(While she call the waiter and order)
     Can you not put this in my noodle?
Me:(What ever!)...Silence..

*CL:Chinese Lady

I went off after I had my last sip on my chill Coke and paid for my food at the counter.I took some of the photos of the stalls and some fried bird sold on the street.

The bus driver finally make a move and went off the bus.From far, I could see the Chinese lady was running towards the bus.There were silence between us.
I had my earplug on and listen to the music until I felt asleep.

All that I knew, we were already reached Siem Reap.The bus station wasn't what I've expected. It was small and there's a lot of people trying to look for the potential customer for their guesthouse.I was lucky, I had booked mine i advance.I stayed at Prom Roth Guesthouse(Prom Roth - Pub Street) , near the Pubstreet and about 5km from the small bus station. I was lucky I met my tuktuk driver,Yenyen Yen the tuktuk driver



I arrived at the guesthouse almost around 4pm and checked in.The staff at Prom Roth Guesthouse are friendly, especially the owner, Meang. I straight away book for my bus ticket back to Phnom Penh the same day I arrived.
I specifically asked for Grand Ibis bus services eventhough I have to pay extra USD4 compared to PenhSorya, which is USD9 per way.I also did booked YenYen for my trip to Angkor Wat the next day.

Wandering at night

After I had shower and a little bit of rest, I walked to the Pub Street,2 minutes from the guesthouse.I was hungry and had my dinner on one of the restaurant at the street.It wasn't that bad or good but I surely missed my Malaysian food back at home!I called off the night early as I have to go out at 6am!...

Total spending for the day:
  • Breakfast in Phnom Penh - USD2.75
  • Tuktuk to Psar Thmei - USD3
  • Lunch at Kampong Thom - USD2.75
  • Guesthouse at Siem Reap(2nights) - USD28
  • Bus GiantIbis to Phnom Penh - USD13
  • Tuktuk from bus stand to guesthouse - USD3

See you in the morning Angkor Wat!!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment