Reaching Out - 2011 ~ Perhentian Island, East Peninsular, Malaysia

I’ve had so many places visited last year but didn’t get any chance to jot it down in my blog. I’ve had my domestic or I might say my local tour in Perhentian Island around May or June. I’ve been to some popular island destination for the local and international tourist spot, that is Perhentian Island, Miri (some place in Borneo near the Sarawak and Brunei border, popular with Niah Cave nearby), Phuket, Ao Nang, Krabi, Bangkok and Hatyai.

Some place in Long Beach, Perhentian Island

 I have no plan before heading to the island and if I’m not mistaken it was a public holiday. I was thinking that I should done Perhentian and do the backpacking way. I haven’t had a clue where I would stay days before I packed my stuff and head the bus station. Luckily, Marina agreed to follow me to the island. I might say that it would be our ultimate Island breakaway! We bought the bus ticket the day we wanted to go there and hop in the bus. It was a double deck bus. I thought it would be a normal bus but it wasn’t. It was a double deck bus with a comfy seat. I thought at first that I would have missed the bus, but it was too busy at the Putra bus terminal that we’re sweating while waiting for the bus! It was hot, sweaty and full of people who want to go back to the East Coast and the time just ticking almost 10.00pm.

There were no hick-ups or any road block during the journey. Thank god that there were no accident nor any mishap happened. We finally reached the Kuala Besut Jetty around 6.30am. It was pitched black and we were totally exhausted and sleepy. We went off the bus and took our belongings. We were then asked to follow this mid-40’s lady to a small office where she brief us the rate for ferry and accommodation places that they offered on the island.

Kuala Besut Jetty is the main port if you want to get to Perhentian Island. A speed boat ride from here to Long Beach in the Small Perhentian Island costs you MYR70 for return tickets and there were MYR 7 for the conservation fee when you want to enter the island. You have to pay the fee before you onboard the speed boat. It’ll take around 45minuts to reach the island by speed boat.

Once you’ve reached Long Beach at the small Perhentian Island, a small boat (the taxi boat) will pick you up from the speed boat. The fee for taxi boat is MYR2 per person. Get ready to wet as there were no safety jacket on it. If you reach there early in the morning and you don’t have places to stay yet, it would be an opportunity for you as some people leaves the place in the morning and you can just walk-in and book the room.

We were lucky that we reached early in the morning. We had the chalet that being reserved for a diver but we can get it instantly without any hesitation. The price was quite reasonable, MYR60 per night for two person. We left our luggage in the room and change to our bikinis and ran to the beach. It’s the beach calling. We went and take a dip in the blue clear sea water and beautiful white sandy beaches. It was worthwhile after spending some chill night in the bus and a bumpy speed boat ride.

In Long Beach, once when you arrived from the mainland; you can see there a row of small stalls and café selling some western and local dishes as well. It was a bit expensive for local but not to worry as there also local dishes selling at a reasonable rate. You can have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same place. If you’re lucky and if there’s any celebration, there will be a bonne fire and cheap liquors selling at a reasonable price. If you’re looking for a diving school, you can easily choose any of the school available for example Matahari Diving School. They also offer snorkeling equipment rental and also the snorkeling trip to some of the most popular spot to see turtles and fishes especially the sharks and coral reefs.

We left the next day for Kuala Lumpur. That day was so hot and the water was so beautiful that you can see it crystal clear.I had so much fun and getting tanned too! Will definitely visiting Perhentian Island again for diving courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment